Senior Technical Artist
Remote - UK
Work on ground-breaking multiplayer titles, push the boundaries of games technology and virtual worlds, or get to grips with some of the world’s toughest security challenges. If your ambitions are high, we’ll give you the tools, support and culture to take them even higher.
The Multiplayer Group (MPG) are 300 developers and data scientists, helping our clients and partners build 20+ AAA projects at any one time. We’re probably the most experienced multiplayer dev group in the world and we’re set up to help the games industry make games more easily, to deliver the highest quality, and become long-term partners.
We hire the best people, our talented team is spread across the globe. We’re remote-friendly and big on wellbeing, so if you love the sound of us, we’d love to hear from you!
We are actively recruiting a Senior Technical Artist to help MPG deliver highly expert solutions and art support to our clients. You’ll work with the tech art/animation/art team alongside engineering, production, design and QA to help deliver the best multiplayer experiences in the world.
You are an experienced Technical Artist who has delivered significant contributions to many games. You will be working with other technical artists to help ensure that game content is optimised & feasible, while helping to bring the art director’s vision to life.
The track will be laid for others with the work you do, with tools & pipelines that can stand the test of time, and your expertise will guide the art team, while also bridging the gap between engineering and art in support of more specialised tasks.
What you’ll be doing:
- Debugging issues (tools, art, rendering etc) & solving complex problems
- Trusted to communicate with the client diplomatically without supervision, and take on complex & nuanced projects to contribute to with minimal oversight from leadership
- Enthusiastic attitude to content creation & agile problem solving, and an understanding of the ever-shifting nature of development (shifting priorities where necessary)
- Able to support relevant game art team with creation of assets
- Should have an enthusiastic, can do attitude, happy to accept difficult technical art challenges
What we need from you:
- Solid understanding of art fundamentals
- Deep understanding of writing shaders, good knowledge of HLSL, and moderate understanding of rendering pipeline
- Deep understanding of writing tools for the art team - may include Houdini, a commonly used DCC, or be directly in-engine
- Moderate understanding of a programming language (C# or C++), and a solid understanding of a scripting language (Python)
- Clear understanding of functional & object-oriented programming paradigms
- Moderate understanding of source control
- Expert knowledge in some areas such as; optimisation for different platforms, procedural content generation, rendering/shaders, tools-development etc.
- Expert knowledge in at least one area of the games art pipeline (character, environments, props, animation)
- Should be able to accurately estimate and schedule their own workload and provide assistance with estimates for team members
- Excellent communication skills, whilst being empathetic, mature and maintaining a professional attitude in potentially difficult situations
What would help:
- Background in art & understanding of art fundamentals and/or background in engineering
- C++ or Python knowledge
- Rendering knowledge (HLSL/GLSL)
- Procedural content generation