Technical Director – Backend Services
Remote - UK
Work on ground-breaking multiplayer titles, push the boundaries of games technology and virtual worlds, or get to grips with some of the world’s toughest security challenges. If your ambitions are high, we’ll give you the tools, support and culture to take them even higher.
The Multiplayer Group (MPG) are 300 developers and data scientists, helping our clients and partners build 20+ AAA projects at any one time. We’re probably the most experienced multiplayer dev group in the world and we’re set up to help the games industry make games more easily, to deliver the highest quality, and become long-term partners.
We hire the best people, our talented team is spread across the globe. We’re remote-friendly and big on wellbeing, so if you love the sound of us, we’d love to hear from you!
You will oversee project technology, advise internal and external stakeholders on backend services, server technology and support the Lead and Senior Engineers to deliver backend solutions for our clients. Also, you will extract requirements, architect solutions, identify any risks and facilitate communication within the project team. You will be reporting into the Head of Engineering and aid them in technical decisions and discussions.
What you'll be doing:
- Head a team of Lead, Principal, Senior and non-Senior Engineers, with responsibility for performance management and development/pastoral care ensuring exceptional level of service to our clients
- Support the CTO, VP of Engineering or Head of Engineering in technical discussions with clients on prospective projects
- Provide support/input to the People Team on HR initiatives relating to the MPG People Plan
- Communicate with stakeholders on projects to extract requirements and advise on solutions
- Architect, design and implement functionality for clients
- Continuously work to minimise technical, maintenance issues and mitigate risks
- Champion quality in MPG and our clients development process
What we'll need from you:
- Experience with architecture and operation of highly scalable backend systems
- Experience shipping and operating live games (or products) as Lead Engineer
- Experience with multiple programming languages with focus on backends
- Experience with a range of databases and their trade offs
- Experience with people management
- Ability to create high level documentation, diagrams, designs, etc
- Ability to advise leads & team members on technical and production matters
- Ability to communicate with multiple stakeholders and prioritise work
- Ability to set direction, consider trade-offs and communicate priorities effectively
- Excellent communicator with the ability to verbalise conceptual thoughts and the willingness to accept constructive critique
- Attention to detail with a strong ability to analyse and comprehend direction
What would help:
- Experience with architecture of backends for multiplayer games is highly desirable
- Golang, Java, C#/.NET or Python experience is highly desirable
- Experience with cloud platforms: Amazon AWS, Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure
- Expert Database experience with both SQL and No SQL highly desirable
- Understanding of and experience with orchestration