SpatialOS makes it faster, easier and more affordable to create computationally demanding games that exceed the capabilities of a single game server. This example shows the difference in hosting and networking costs for two cloud-hosted PvPvE games, one using native Unreal networking and one using SpatialOS networking:
- The backend costs are slightly higher for the SpatialOS game because the game is using more compute per player. This increase can be as low as ~$0.01 per MAU2, potentially just~1% of game revenue3 for typical games.
- In return for this extra cost, you get the ability to build a more engaging experience for your players. And this performance is immediately available – you don’t need to spend weeks or months optimising an existing networking stack.
Further savings (to egress, for example) are available by hosting the game on a hybrid mix of bare metal and cloud infrastructure.
- Scenarios based on relative performance difference observed when benchmarking SpatialOS networking and Unreal networking for a game using Unreal Engine.
- Both scenarios assume 100:1 MAU:CCU ratio.
- Avg game revenue benchmarks = $1.00-2.50 per MAU.